One of the first visual interaction innovations in Windows Vista is desktop composition. This function allows you to adjust the pixels that show on the screen by utilizing a variety of applications. So, suppose you truly intend to understand what desktop composition is and how to activate or deactivate it. In that case, you must read this post all the way to the conclusion to learn every detail about the process of how to disable desktop composition Windows 10.
About Desktop Composition
When desktop composition is enabled, the specific windows will not draw the principal screen in a straightforward fashion, and it is mostly utilized in earlier or outdated Windows. In the video’s storage, the display image will be routed to off-screen locations. In addition, this drawing will appear as a desktop picture and will be visible on the screen.
Furthermore, one of the functions that come under the desktop composition is the Desktop Windows Manager. The DWM program will allow visualization effects as well as various capabilities, such as the aero design of the desktop using the desktop composition functionality.
Process of Disabling Desktop Composition
Many individuals on the internet will wonder if it is plausible to disable desktop composition in Windows 10. Indeed, there is no option to toggle off visual styles and desktop composition in Windows 10. You may also deactivate the DWM by following the steps below, which will function in both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
Microsoft eliminated the ability to deactivate desktop composition in Windows 8. There is one way to compel it to stop, but experts don’t recommend it since it will cause problems in your computer while attempting to stop a Windows operation that isn’t deactivated in Windows 10. You must follow the instructions indicated below in an attempt to deactivate desktop composition functionality in Windows 10:
- To launch the task manager on your system monitor, press and hold the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys at the same instant.
- You must now pick the Open Resource Monitor choice from the performance menu.
- The resource meter will now display on the screen.
- Afterwards, under the CPU tab, seek for the winlogon.exe choice and right-click it.
- Next, you must first pick the suspend process choice before moving on to the monitoring option and selecting the cease monitoring option. If you do not act immediately, the winlogon.exe file will vanish, and you’ll have to reboot your computer to get it recovered.
- You must now launch the task manager and navigate to the Processes section to locate the Windows Explorer choice.
- After that, right-click that choice, then select End Task from the menu.
- Then, navigate to the processes tab and search for the desktop window manager selection. You must also terminate that process.
- Subsequently, employing the task manager, choose the file selection, and then press on the run new task item.
- Finally, you must first input explorer.exe and then press the enter key.
If you want to restore the DWM, just use the resource monitor to restart the winlogon.exe process.
Process of Enabling Desktop Composition
If you really wish to learn how to enable desktop composition, there are a few different approaches you may take. If you want to learn how to activate desktop composition in Windows 7, you should read the techniques we’ve listed below. They’ll lead you through the overall operation of how to start desktop composition in Windows 7 and how to switch off desktop composition in Windows 10.
Method-1: Enable Through the Visual Effects Configuration
Applying the visual effects configurations is one of the primary ways to activate the desktop composition. To finish the operation, please complete the actions indicated below:
- You must first right-click on the selection of This PC, and next utilize the pop-up window to pick the selection of properties.
- Next, choose Advanced system configuration from the menu, and the System Properties application will launch and display on the screen.
- Afterward, you must choose the settings item that emerges in the performance portion by clicking on the advanced tap button.
- Lastly, search for and select the allow desktop composition button in the visual effects tab’s area.
You may also turn off desktop composition by deselecting that checkbox again.
Method-2: Activate from Services
Continuing on to the next technique of allowing desktop composition, which is to enable it through services. To accomplish the operation, you must execute the actions indicated below.
- To access the services app, you must first open the Windows search option and type services.msc, then choose the first result in the sequence to launch the services program.
- Next, locate the desktop windows manager session manager program and press on it.
- Now, under the general pane, pick the selection of Automatic from the drop-down box that emerges behind the startup mode.
- Finally, to put the modifications into effect, press the Start button and eventually on the Apply or Ok option.
You should be aware that setting the startup type to deactivate will instantaneously stop it.
Method-3: Activate Using the Registry Editor
You must now personally activate it with the assistance of a registry editor in order to use this technique. You must execute the process indicated below to accomplish this:
- Merely launch the Windows search function and, after that, input Regedit into the field.
- You must now choose one suitable choice for this.
- Then, check for the address which is provided here: Hkey_current_user\software
- After that, inside the right panel, double-click the CompositionPolicy DWORD.
- After that, you must put 0 in the Value data field and afterward press the OK option.
- To conclude the process, start your system again after closing the registry editor.
You must input the value 1 if you wish to deactivate it.
DWM Disable Desktop Compositing
This article on Disable Desktop Composition Windows 10 should have provided you with a better understanding of what desktop composition means and how to activate or deactivate it. It should additionally assist you in understanding how it influences the look of your Windows screen.